Whether you call it a pour-over, filter or dripper (manual dripper), the dynamics for brewing the perfect coffee are virtually all the same.
There are many pour-overs on the market to choose from and, here at Quest Coffee Roasters, we stock the stylish Café de Tiamo Coffee Dripper. There are specific design features that make the Tiamo stand out from the rest:
- The Tiamo comes in a cone shape, which allows the water to flow to the centre and extend the contact time;
- It has spiral ribs which allows air to escape. This produces maximum expansion of the coffee grounds;
- As there is a large single hole, you are able to alter the flavour slightly depending on the speed that you pour the water into the pour-over.
Here’s how you brew the perfect pour-over:
- Boil your water and leave it sit for 3-5 minutes so it can reach optimal pouring temperature – we don’t want you to burn your coffee grounds;
- Put the filter inside the dripper;
- Rinse the filter with hot water while inside the ceramic dripper; this will get rid of the papery taste, as well as preheating your dripper and the server. If you don’t heat the filter, the temperature of the water will decrease significantly and your coffee won’t extract properly.
- Grind your coffee beans and put them into the filter, ensuring the grinds are as level as possible. We can grind coffee to your desired liking but it is better to grind as you go. Click here to see why.
- Pour double the amount of water as there is coffee in your Tiamo dripper and let it bloom for approximately 1 minute. Then start pouring in circles; the water flow and the size of your grind will affect your pouring time but, generally, it should take between 2-4 minutes to brew.
- Wait patiently as the water drips through.
Now you can sit back and enjoy the perfect pour-over made by you!
Written by Therese Glowaski.